Those poor, neglected hash marks. Nobody pays much attention to them but games are won and lost because of them. They measure the distance a team has traveled up the field. They tell the tale of whether or not a team moves the ball forward or kicks it back to their opponents.
A few fun facts – Hash marks are only about one yard long – they’re used to mark each of the 5-yard lines which go from sideline to sideline. Hash marks are in line with the goal posts.
For the entrepreneur, the concept of hash marks can mean the difference between a winning business and one that flails around aimlessly. Without hash marks; measurable, attainable, quantifiable goals, you won’t know where you are on your business field. As in football, hash marks tell you exactly where you are and they reveal where you need to go. It’s important to note the point above; hash marks are in line with the goal posts.
Believe it or not, business success is not about how many dollars are coming in! It’s about what you’re discovering about your business, your clients, your service offerings, and, most of all, yourself. My first business created some debt because I had never traveled the entrepreneurial road before, but I considered it an educational expense because of what I learned. The combination of acquired experience and reading an abundance of business books provided me the knowledge I needed for developing and building Winning Proof, and any other businesses that come my way, for that matter.
The question is, how will you know you’ve reached success in your business? What measuring stick – hash marks – do you measure your success with? Here are a few to consider:
Your market -
1. Your clients choose to do business with you because they feel valued and heard.
2. You stay ahead of emerging trends and changes in your market.
3. You thoughtfully educate your clients about your service offerings.
Your services –
1. You discover that clients buy your product/service because it’s simply the best.
2. They are referring you to their own networks.
3. You leverage your services that create the greatest response.
Your clients –
1. You’re discovering what’s important to your clients.
2. You’re consistently solving your client’s most pressing issues.
3. You’re creating value-added bonuses that are meaningful to your clients.
1. You’re learning how your actual entrepreneurial experience compares to your expectations.
2. New talents and gifts are emerging as your continue your journey.
3. You’ve discovered what tasks you need to outsource and what fuels your spirit.
In the end, what you learn about yourself on a deeper level are the hash marks that will ultimately determine your success. You can have all the business success in the world, but without personal success; a deep satisfaction and an inner sense of fulfillment and peace inside, you ain’t got nothin’. Wherever you are on the business field, use the hash marks in your market, your services, your clients and yourself to position yourself for a win.